It’s been a year of three big creative adventures: getting a new job (first in fourteen years); a family holiday in France (first to Paris for a week, then to Morzine in the French Alps); setting up my Patreon (experimenting with a patrons-only podcast).
There was very little fiction writing, but plenty of reflective writing, a lot of films (131), and some books (26 of which were fiction).
In time-honoured fashion, here are my favourite discoveries of 2022, in chronological order of publication or release.
Favourite books of 2022
- The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy (1979), Douglas Adams
- Climbers (1989), M John Harrison
- A Patchwork Planet (1998), Anne Tyler
- Nod (2012), Adrian Barnes
- I’m Thinking of Ending Things (2016), Iain Reid
- The Spirit of Science Fiction (2016), Robert Bolaño
- Saltwater (2019), Jessica Andrews
- Braised Pork (2020), An Yu
- Dead Relatives (2021), Lucie McKnight Hardy
- Seafood & Cocktails (2021), Eygló Karlsdóttir
Favourite films of 2022
- Stop Making Sense (1984), dir. Jonathan Demme
- Morvern Callar (2002), dir. Lynne Ramsay
- The Consequences of Love (2004), dir. Paolo Sorrentino
- Oslo, August 31st (2011), dir. Joachim Trier
- Columbus (2017), dir. Kogonada
- The Empty Man (2020), dir. David Prior
- Palm Springs (2020), dir. Max Barbakow
- Undine (2020), dir. Christian Petzold
- The Sparks Brothers (2021), dir. Edgar Wright
- Top Gun: Maverick (2022), dir. Joseph Kosinski
Time to wrap this year up and store it with all the others.